Sunday, November 25, 2007

Well, "Tis the Season". We started our holiday preparations today after church. We dressed the exterior of the house by hanging the greens---wreaths and swags. Dylan helped me flank the front door with potted Christmas trees. He added his own special touch by placing a Santa on one side and his recycled critter he found in the garage on the other. It was a robot we made for a first grade project. It was made out of plastic bottles, Styrofoam, etc. I have a feeling it will soon disappear---Wyoming Wind or otherwise! If not, we will have to find a Santa hat for it to wear!

I enjoyed loading the stereo with my favorite holiday tunes and wrapping presents. Gift wrapping is one of my favorite things to do. I don't know if it is because it conjures up memories of wrapping gifts for my Mom while the windows steamed up from the cool weather and the pots of food cooking on the stove created delicious fragrances throughout the house. Or is it memories of my first job and holidays spent wrapping gifts at Belk's? Sometimes it is an escape. Even when I was in management, I would welcome the opportunity to help gift wrap customer's treasures.

Dylan also got into the spirit. He wrote a letter to Santa telling him he needed milk and cookies. Dylan poured himself and Santa each a glass of milk. We had to convince him that it would spoil before Santa arrives on December 25th. Since Dylan also had a couple of meltdowns today, we had to remind him that Santa is watching. He said he would get rocks if he was not a good boy--I think he meant coal. Since he collects rocks--lots of rocks--that may not be a deterrent! He has already broken the straps on his backpack this year because he loads it down with so many rocks. If you ask, they are all beautiful and have special powers. He puts them in his backpack, pockets, and any other place he can use to transport them home. I've learned to check all his pockets before putting his clothes in the laundry.