Saturday, December 22, 2007

As I reviewed the pictures from the previous posts, I realized the snow is still on the ground. It has warmed up just enough this week to melt the snow during the day and re-freeze into sheets of ice at night. One of the many reasons I have not let Kelly drive since his shoulder surgery two weeks ago!



He is doing better each day. We had hoped the surgery in September would be successful, but his bicep tendon continued to pop out of its groove creating a great deal of discomfort. Since his earlier surgery, he has regained a lot of mobility. He's arm will be in a sling until mid-January. We are hoping 2008 will be surgery free and we can continue with our home improvement projects. He has assured me it will not hinder unwrapping presents on Christmas Day!



Dylan is excited about Christmas and is counting down each day. Wednesday was his all-day party at school which included crafts, movies, and refreshments. Thursday Kelly and I attended his Christmas program. He was a puppy dog when they sang the song "All Critters have a Place in the Choir". He has really enjoyed singing Christmas carols this season. I laugh every time he sings "We wish you a Merry Christmas!" when he says, "Now bring us some fishy pudding". Friday they had a pajama party and movie before they were released for the holiday. Dylan is equally excited about keeping secrets this year. When asked if he has been good this year, he responds, "A little bit good and a little bit bad." At least he is honest (some of the time!)



Personally, the holidays have been a bit difficult. I have been more homesick than usual, which I guess is to be expected. Twice I have heard the song "Christmas Makes Me Cry" on KLOVE and felt the tears roll down my cheeks. I have found myself reminiscing more than usual this year. Oddly enough, I even wondered "What ever happened to kumquats?" As a child I remember the many gift baskets and boxes my family would receive during the holiday season including fruit baskets. I recall the tart lttle fruits that would make your insides pucker. I also recall the ribbon candy that only Grandmothers had. As I type this I remember the Georgia-made fruitcakes in the red and white striped boxes. I do not remember eating them--just their attendance at every holiday season. (My Mom makes the best fruit cake--minimal fruit with LOTS of nuts!) My mind has been wandering in places that have until now been a distant memory.



It looks like we may really have a white Christmas this year, which has only happened I believe 14 times in the last 100+. --We are more apt to have snow on Easter than Christmas! We are enjoying our time off together and are still in our pajamas at mid-day. It is a cold 20 degrees with a wind-chill near zero. We received a wonderful gift basket from family in North Carolina that included English muffins, crumpets, a cinnamon toffee torte, and apple spice conserve. We enjoyed the tasty delight with coffee in front on the fire.



We are looking forward to sharing soup and chili with our friends Kathy and Terry and their girls tonight and playing games at their house. We are avoiding the last minute Christmas rush and choosing to spend it with family and friends. Weather permitting, we will travel "over the river and through the woods" (or in this area of the country "over the prairie and through the snow") to Grandma and Pappa Priests' home in Ft. Collins to celebrate Christmas with Kelly's parents, three siblings and spouses, and nieces and nephews. Sounds like fun! We will return to work for two days before we travel home for the remainder of the holidays. Please keep us in your prayers as we travel south on December 28th. At this time snow is predicted for Thursday, December 27th. Since our flight leaves at a too-early 5:30 am, we have reservations near the airport on Thursday night. Kelly is looking forward to the balmy temperatures. I am looking forward to Christmas lunch at my Mom's house the following Saturday. Mostly, we are looking forward to being home for Christmas.